ETA CHAPTER AT THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA
On March 25, 1917, seven young Jewish women who exemplified self-confidence and the willingness to take a chance, founded a new sorority at Cornell University. The name chosen, Sigma Delta Phi, was soon changed to Sigma Delta Tau when the women discovered the letters belonged to another Greek organization. The Eta chapter was chartered at the University of Georgia on April 6, 1924 as the fourth sorority on UGA's campus.
Most of the seven founding women had experienced the subtle, but very real, discrimination practiced against religious minorities by many Greek organizations at the time.
In response to the closed doors, and as a way to meet their own social and housing needs, these young women established a sorority which would respect the individuality of its members. The personal growth and social development of each individual was the basis upon which the new organization would be built.
Yellow Tea Rose
Cafe Au Lait and Old Blue
Prevent Child Abuse America
SDT Eta has had the highest Panhellenic GPA for the past 11 years!